As the NFL labor negotiators inch slowly towards a new CBA that will open up free agency, we have time to ponder the Washington Redskins’ potential targets in free agency. Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com compiled a handy list of his top 50 available free agents. Let’s walk down the list and see which defensive players in whom the Redskins might show some interest. Tomorrow, we’ll look at the offense.
1. CB Nnamdi Asomugha–Ever since it was announced that he would be a free agent in January, I have thought that he would be too expensive for the Redskins to consider. But with the probability that the new CBA will force the Redskins to spend a lot of money this year, the All-Pro corner is in play.
3. CB Jonathan Joseph–Although he had an off year, solid man cover skills could interest the Redskins. At 27, a lot of years left.
9. CB Carlos Rogers–It appears the Rogers wants to start over elsewhere but if they miss out on Asomugha they could do worse than locking up one of their own.
18. ILB Stephen Tulloch–If Rocky McIntosh leaves as a free agent, the 26-year-old Tulloch could step right in. He also has the smarts and work ethic that could enable him to take over as the leader of the defense when London Fletcher hangs it up.
22. DE Cullen Jenkins–There have been reports of mutual interest between the Redskins and the Packers’ end. Jenkins had seven sacks in 2010 while the Redskins’ linemen combined for just nine. Perhaps the fact that the Redskins drafted Jarvis Jenkins in the second round will change their interest in Cullen, but it bears watching.
33. NT Aubrayo Franklin–Discussed here yesterday.
34. CB Ike Taylor–Although he has some wear and tear at 31, Taylor had a good 2010 season and could be a good acquisition with the right contract.
38. ILB Barrett Ruud–At 28, he is a little bit older than Tulloch and not quite as talented. But he could adequately fill the hole that would be left should McIntosh leave.
50. CB Josh Wilson–He has nine interceptions over the past three years in part-time duty. Wilson took over the starting job for the Ravens around midseason last year and played well.
The top 50 list represents just a fraction of the 400 or so players who are set to become free agents. More players will be added to the market when teams release them for salary cap reasons.
Who do you think the Redskins will target?