Over the last four games, the Redskins’ offense has averaged 23 points and 370.8 yards per game (2-2 record).
The by-product of that offensive success is fewer attempts overall and fewer long fields in general for Sav Rocca to punt into.
When the Redskins’ losing streak reached six games last month, Rocca was fourth in the NFL with a 41.3-yard net average (distance of punt minus punt return).
But as the Redskins’ offense has found a groove, Rocca’s chances have diminished. Drives stall inside opponents’ territory, not near his own goal-line.
The results during six-game losing streak:
- Philadelphia: 42.5 net, two inside 20
- Carolina: 37.0 net, none inside 20.
- Buffalo: 43.7 net, three inside 20.
- San Francisco: 39.4 net, one inside 20.
- Miami: 35.5 net, none inside 20.
- Dallas: 44.2 net, two inside 20.
And during the last four games:
- Seattle: 39.3 net, one inside 20.
- Jets: 35.0 net, four inside 20.
- New England: 31.3 net, one inside 20.
- Giants: 33.0 net, none inside 20.
Rocca enters Saturday’s game against Minnesota ranked 10th in net average (39.8). It could cost him a Pro Bowl berth.
Contact O’Halloran at email@example.com