Ten thoughts on the Redskins and other possibly related matters:
10. I think the Redskins would like to have Adam Carriker resign with the team and he probably wants to return. The issue is that he has been a starter for the last two years and will expect starter money. But it is likely that the Redskins plan on starting Jarvis Jenkins. Hopefully they can come up with something that works for both sides, perhaps something with roster and playing time bonuses.
9. I’m glad the Rex Grossman’s “confidence level is at an all-time high.” Self esteem is important. But I just don’t see him taking the next step and drastically reducing the turnovers in 2012.
8. A lot of folks are trying to tell me that wide receiver is set because of the presence of Jabar Gaffney and Leonard Hankerson. The problem is that Gaffney is have his career year at age 31 and it’s not realistic to expect him to duplicate it. And Hankerson appears to have the ability to get a very good receiver if not a star, but you can’t be sure about that based on his one breakout game in Miami.
7. Some people just can stand to be out of the spotlight. Former Eagles, Cowboys, 49ers, Bills, and Bengals receiver Terrell Owens is one of them.
6. Mike Shanahan is not exactly a fountain of information during his daily media briefings but he has loosened up some. He’ll crack the occasional joke and there is not nearly as much tension as there was last year. Perhaps that means he’s adjusted to the Redskins media and the fact that the likes of Donovan McNabb and Albert Haynesworth are not topics of conversation also could have something to do with it.
5. The quarterback situation will dominate the Redskins offseason conversation. I know you know that but I just wanted to make sure that you know that I know it.
4. Niles Paul has been getting some playing time but he hasn’t been the target of many passes. I think he’s one of the rookies who will need a full offseason of OTA’s and minicamp to see what his potential is.
3. Congrats to the NFL for finally stopping this nonsense of free agency starting at midnight. It now will start on Tuesday, March 14 at 4:00 p.m. Eastern. That avoids the need for writers and bloggers (and fans) to pull an all nighter into a long day.
2. I’m still sticking with my prediction that the Redskins will use the franchise tag on LaRon Landry but it may depend on what course of treatment he decides to take on the Achilles. The Redskins might be much more prone to keeping him if he undergoes surgery to fix the problem. If he decides to take another approach like he did last offseason, they might be inclined to let him go.
1. Talk that Shanahan won’t be back next year is nonsense. But if he has 10+ losses again next year? Then here will be some fire with that smoke.