5. The Redskins need a very good quarterback. All other needs are secondary until that need is filled.
4. I’d like to see the Redskins upgrade at center. Will Montgomery is serviceable but not the guy you want to have as your anchor. You can get a good center in the middle rounds or for a relatively modest free agent contract.
3. A mention of LaRon Landry in the last edition of this series brought up quite a few comments on Twitter. What people forget is that Landry played out of position at free safety for two and a half years. Much of the time he lined up 30 yards off of the line of scrimmage. That’s a criminal waste. What was Greg Blache thinking?
2. It’s hard to get a feel for who might win the Giants-Cowboys showdown for the NFC East title on Sunday night. Both teams are so inconsistent that you’re really just flipping a coin. The pick here, with no conviction behind it, is for the home standing Giants.
1. I wouldn’t be surprised if in their succession planning the Redskins have Willie Smith penciled in to start at right tackle in 2013. They probably need to keep Jammal Brown there another year because Smith probably won’t be ready and it would be too costly to cut Brown this offseason. But after that, Smith could be the guy.