The Redskins entered Sunday’s game against the Giants ranked 20th in third down offense. There have been the good games – 9-of-18 at St. Louis and 7-of-14 vs. New England and many more bad games – 5-of-15 vs. the Giants (Week 1), 1-of-10 vs. Philadelphia, 4-of-14 vs. Buffalo and 5-of-13 at Miami.
In game No. 14, the Redskins delivered their best third down performance of the year – 8-of-15 (53 percent).
“You need receivers making some plays and that’s what they did today – made some big plays in crucial situations on third down,” was all coach Mike Shanahan had to say about the efficiency.
We’ll say a little bit more. The Giants entered 19th in third down defense but had few answers for the Redskins.
A look at each third down play:
- 3-12-NY39: Grossman 19 pass to Stallworth.
- 3-8-NY18: Grossman incomplete (Moss).
- 3-17-W43: Grossman 16 pass to Stallworth.
- 3-1-NY25: Young 3 run.
- 3-8-NY20: Grossman 20 pass to Moss TD.
- 3-1-NY21: Helu 3 run.
- 3-14-NY22: Grossman 16 pass to Gaffney.
- 3-11-W24: Grossman 20 pass to Moss (plus 15 for roughing the passer).
- 3-10-NY41: Grossman incomplete
- 3-1-NY25: Helu 0 run.
- 3-10-NY14: Grossman 7 pass to Helu.
- 3-4-W26: Grossman incomplete (Moss).
- 3-6-W29: Grossman 13 pass to Gaffney.
- 3-2-50: Royster 2 run.
- 3-3-NY41: Grossman incomplete (Armstrong)