By Rich Tandler
When Rex Grossman re-signed with the Redskins last August, he opted to ink a one-year deal, gambling that his performance in 2011 would be good enough to create a demand in the market for his services.
After throwing 20 interceptions and losing five fumbles and posting a 5-8 record in 13 games, it doesn’t look like Grossman’s bet on himself paid off. He is again a free agent and while he signed quickly in the post-lockout frenzy last year, he may have to wait a while for the market to materialize for him this time around.
Speaking with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan on Wednesday on SiriusXM Radio’s Movin’ the Chains (via our corporate cousins at Pro Football Talk), Grossman said that his first choice would be to return to the Redskins.
“I like playing for a team that has that much history and tradition and a fan base that cares that much and a coaching staff that is determined to get this thing right and an offense that I feel like suits me,” he said.
“A dream scenario for me would be to go back there and play consistently and play the way that I always thought I could for a whole season.”
Being the Redskins’ starting quarterback again might be a dream scenario for Rex but it is doubtful that most of the team’s fans would view it that way. Some might find it acceptable for him to return to start for a few games while a young replacement was being groomed. But if Grossman is still taking snaps in November there could be issues in Redskins Nation.
We hear you knocking, Rex. But you can’t come in.