By Ryan O’Halloran
One of my favorite NFL guys is Jacksonville-based Pete Prisco, who writes for CBSsports.com and hosts a daily radio show (I’ve been a guest a couple of times). This week, Prisco posted his top 50 free agents and it merits discussion to who the Redskins could be interested in. I’ll also include some big names that won’t be coming to Washington.
1. Mario Williams, DE, Houston: If this was a few years ago, the Redskins would think Williams would be The Final Piece. Not this time. I’ll guess the Texans re-sign him or at least franchise him.
2. Brandon Carr, CB, Kansas City: This name surprised me as being high on the list because, well, I had barely heard of Carr. Somebody will overpay for a soon-to-be 26-year old corner.
7. Vincent Jackson, WR, San Diego: He turned 29 last month and wasn’t making the eye-popping plays he used to. But he should be on the Redskins radar more so than a small receiver like DeSean Jackson.
15. Carlos Rogers, CB, San Francisco: Los, Part 2 in D.C.? Would be hilarious but not likely.
19. Dashon Goldson, S, San Francisco: The Redskins need safety help in the biggest way and Goldson had six interceptions. This would also be a classic Old Redskins Move – overpay for a guy who had a career year.
22. Chris Myers, C, Houston: If the Redskins don’t think free agent Will Montgomery is the answer and the money is right, he could be a target.
23. Jared Gaither, OT, San Diego: Hmmmm, I think the Redskins need a starter or at least competition at right tackle and Gaither didn’t embarrass himself after flaming out in Baltimore.
27. Aaron Ross, CB, NY Giants: The Redskins poached their division rivals last year for NT Barry Cofield, DE Stephen Bowen and P Sav Rocca so this will always be a consideration under the Sign Who Ya Know philosophy. But Ross will be 30 in September.
29. Ben Grubbs, G, Baltimore: I get asked about this all the time and it would be legitimate if this was last year. But the Redskins have Chris Chester locked up at right guard and they rave about restricted free agent Kory Lichtensteiger at left guard.
31. Reggie Wayne, WR, Indianapolis: Turns 34 this November. Why would he come here?
34. Pierre Garcon, WR, Indianapolis: The better choice among the Indianapolis Options.
35. Matt Flynn, QB, Green Bay: Too small of a sample size.
40. Dwight Lowery, DB, Jacksonville: As Prisco noted, he’s a former cornerback who played free safety for the Jaguars and is 26 years old.
49. Mario Manningham, WR, Giants: If Al Davis was still around, he would sign Manningham seconds after free agency. So would the Old School Redskins. But These Redskins can do better.
Contact O’Halloran at firstname.lastname@example.org