Here is what you need to know going into Wednesday, Day 6 of practice at Redskins Park:
Good news, bad news on Brown?
My friend and colleague Chick Hernandez is reporting the following on Jammal Brown via Twitter:
So it appears that a preliminary look found that the original injury, the one Brown suffered while running sprints last week, is not very bad. But there is something in the other hip that needs a look.
We will get more information and further clarification on the story later his morning.
Redskins not the only team with injuries
Every year around this time the Redskins deal with training camp injuries and every year about this time I get people asking if the Redskins are extraordinarily unlucky or if they have an incompetent training staff.
And, every year around this time I tell them that most NFL teams suffer from injuries this time of year. Here is a quick look through the last 48 hours of camp injuries reported in our corporate cousins at Pro Football Talk:
Vikings TE John Carlson suffered a sprained MCL.
Chargers RB Ryan Mathews injured in a car accident.
Colts OL, LB suffer torn ACL’s.
Jaguars G William Rackley is on crutches with a sprained ankle.
Lions RB Javid Best is still suffering from a concussion that ended his 2011 season early.
Pro Bowl Eagles DE Jason Babin will miss 2-3 weeks with a strained calf.
Cardinals starting QB Kevin Kolb has a thigh bruise.
Giants CB Terrel Thomas has re-injured the same knee that cost him all of last season.
Ravens tight end Dennis Pitta broke his hand in practice.
Eagles WR Ron Johnson suffered a “gruesome” leg injury.
Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno is still limited by last year’s torn ACL.
The Jets were suffering so many muscle pulls that Rex Ryan pushed back practice time to allow for more stretching.
Packers WR Greg Jennings is out of practice with an elbow injury.
Chiefs S Kyle McCarthy was carted off the field with a knee injury.
Broncos S Quinton Carter is out of practice with a hamstring injury.
Again, those are just the more significant injuries reported in PFT since Monday morning. It’s hard to look at that list and say that the Redskins are significantly worse off than the rest of the NFL.
Tackle supply is getting thin out there
Some eyes were rolled when the Redskins signed tackle Jordan Black, who did not play in the NFL last year. But here is how bad the offensive tackle supply is in the NFL. The Chiefs just signed Ray Willis, who last played in the NFL in 2009. Yes, when he last played, Jim Zorn roamed the Redskins sidelines.
In case you missed it
Yesterday, I looked at the backup plan at inside linebacker after Jonathan Goff’s season-ending knee injury. Also, we had a couple of items on new offensive tackle Jordan Black, one on his impact on the depth chart and another on his weight problem (he needs to gain, not lose). The practice report has entries on Brian Orakpo, Brandon Banks, and Chris Cooley, among many others.
On tap today
It should be quite comfortable at Redskins training camp today with a high of only 83 this afternoon. There is about at 30 percent chance of thunderstorms like the ones that sent fans home early yesterday. But, then again, there’s a 70 percent chance that it won’t rain.