Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, December 22, one day before the Redskins play the Eagles in Philadelphia.
Chat at 12:30 on Sunday
Early tomorrow morning I’ll to be hitting the road to Philly to bring you coverage of the Eagles-Redskins game from Lincoln Financial Field. Tarik will be there as well and Jen X will be in the Bethesda studios.
We will be chatting it up starting at about 12:30 and rolling through the end of the game. It’s the sixth big, must-win game in a row. If you can’t be there, hang out with us. Pull up a second screen and we’ll talk about it.
See you then.
What are the odds?
Going into last Sunday’s games the Redskins were underdogs to make the postseason. After they beat the Browns and getting some help, particularly from the Falcons as they whipped the Giants, they are strong favorites to participate in the playoffs.
Here are what a few sites that calculate playoff odds are saying:
Football Outsiders—The FO crew simulated the remaining games on the schedule 50,000 times using their weighted DVOA metric. In that world, the Redskins win the division over 68 percent of the time and make the playoffs 80 percent of the time.
NFLForecast.com—This outfit simulates results using the team efficiency ratings from AdvancedNFLStats.com. They aren’t quite as bullish on the Redskins as is FO but they still come in with a 71.7 percent chance of the Redskins making the playoffs. They see the Redskins having a 55 percent chance of winning the division while assigning the Cowboys a 30 percent chance.
CoolStandings.com—These folks actually favor the Cowboys to take the division. They have Dallas with a 48 percent chance of winning the NFC East and the Redskins 42 percent. But they do like the Redskins to make the playoffs, giving them a 20 percent chance of taking a wild card for a total of a 62 percent chance of playing in January.
No availability, team travels to Philadelphia
In case you missed it
Game prediction: We’ve seen this before
Game preview: Can they stay hot?
Days until: Redskins @ Eagles 1; Cowboys vs. Redskins @ FedEx Field 8; first round of NFL playoffs 14