Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, March 31, 25 days before the NFL draft.
That Was the Week That Was
A look back at the news of the week:
—You have to give Drew Rosenhaus, Fred Davis’ agent, credit for making it interesting, or at least making it appear interesting. The famed agent got Davis a visit with the Bills, complete with a session with the media where he used “we” to reference the home team there. But it always looked like Davis was coming back to Washington and the fact that, according to our Chick Hernandez, he turned down about $700K more from the Bills to take the Redskins’ one-year offer is solid evidence of that.
—According to Joel Corry of the National Football Post, Davis' contract is worth up to $3.75 million with a $1.5 million signing bonus $1 million salary and incentives of $1.25 milion. He will count $2.5 million against the cap.
—Restructures, folks. That’s how the Redskins created enough cap room for Davis’ contract, that’s how they will still be able to sign Antoine Winfield if he agrees to terms, that’s how they will be able to sign their draft picks. They don’t like to do restructures but sometimes you have to do things you don’t like to do. The cap penalty will force them to make some and push 2013 cap dollars into 2014 and beyond.
—If they do manage to sign Winfield that shouldn’t alter any plans they may have to draft a cornerback early in the draft. Winfield presumably would come on a one-year deal so the top three CB’s—Winfield, Josh Wilson, and E. J. Biggers—would all be free agents in 2014. If the right guy is there in the second or third round they won’t hesitate to nab him.
—And since Davis is on a one-year deal, I wouldn’t rule out the Redskins taking a tight end, either. Maybe not in the second or third but any time from the fourth on it’s a possibility.
In case you missed it
In case you need to catch up, here are links to all 31 Redskins posts from the CSN Washington team in the last seven days.
- TW3—The week in review including links to all 31 original Redskins posts during the week.
- Cowboys can’t make moves
- Eagles starting over with Kelly
- Bills wine and dine Davis
- Redskins to host Winfield
- Enemy intel: Bears 2013 outlook
- Redskins have flexibility and stability in interior OL
- The draft is a month away
- RG3: I’ll wait until I’m ready
- Enemy Intel: Lions
- What will the Redskins do if Davis leaves?
- Redskins free agency/draft chat archive
- Winfield a good fit for Redskins
- Minnifield: “I definitely feel like I can help”
- Why not take RG3 at his word?
- NFL schedule announcement scheduled
- Davis visits with Bills, cancels Jets
- Redskins sign LB Darryl Tapp
- Redskins announce OTA schedule
- Cousins feels greater sense of urgency
- Minnifield could be a big plus
- RG3 helps recruit Winfield
- Questions remain at safety
- Redskins avert cap-tastrophe
- Redskins’ offense returns intact
- Point-Counterpoint: Can the Redskins defend the NFC East?
- Fred Davis is back